What Is Passport Appointment Procedure?: Passport is an official document issued by the government of the country. Along with allowing you to travel internationally it also acts as the biggest proof of citizenship as per the Passports Act of 1967. The offline process to apply for the passport is really time-consuming. Keeping this in mind the Ministry of External Affairs has started the online facility of applying for the passport. The majority of people now apply online for the passport.
Since 2012, the Indian Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) has changed the process of passport application and reissue. The application for issuance of fresh passport or reissue of expired/expiring passport has been made online. This has been done to streamline the whole process. Also Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) has been roped in to manage the online application system as well as to manage the data entry process. MEA and TCS have launched many passport kiosks also known as Passport Seva Kendras (PSK) where an Indian citizen can visit to submit his or her passport application. This is certainly a good news for Indian Passport applicants as it removes all middlemen and agents in the process. However, in order to visit the PSK, one has to book an appointment online (unless your are filling up a tatkal application in which case you can simply walk into the nearest PSK without appointment). The number of slots at any given PSK are limited and hence they get filled up really quickly as soon as they are open. Here are some of the tips that will help you get your appointment faster.
Process for online appointment booking
Under the new process after you have applied online and filled the application form the date and time of the appointment will be allotted to you by the system only as per the availability of the appointment slots. However, prior payment of the passport service fee is mandatory for booking the appointment at Passport Seva Kendra (PSK). For this purpose, the online payment feature has been introduced through the Passport Seva Online Portal. The applicant can cancel or reschedule the appointment only twice in one year of first appointment date. The system will not permit booking of online appointment for one ARN number twice.
Online payment for the passport can be done using the following modes:
- Internet Banking (through SBI and associate banks only)
- Debit Card (Visa and MasterCard only)
- Credit Card (Visa and MasterCard only)
- Bank Challan (payable at SBI branches in India only)
Once the payment status is confirmed, an e-mail will be sent to the applicant to book a PSK appointment from the slots available only. Applicants need to navigate to the view saved/submitted applications screen and click the Schedule Appointment link to schedule an appointment. Select the preferred PSK for appointment and book the appointment. After confirmation, a screen will be displayed with the appointment details.
How to cancel/reschedule an appointment
Applicant needs to follow the following instructions to cancel or reschedule an appointment.
- Select the Schedule Appointment link on the view saved/submitted applications screen.
- Now select the Reschedule Appointment/Cancel Appointment button. A confirmation message displaying the count of cancel and reschedule attempts will be shown.
- In the case of rescheduling the appointment, select the preferred Passport Seva Kendra and select the next button.
- Again check the available appointment dates and after selecting one book the appointment.
- A screen will be displayed confirming the appointment and showing the details of the appointment. The previously booked appointment will be automatically canceled.
- You can also get the print out of the application receipt.
After Reaching the Regional Passport Office/Passport Seva Kendra
- Reach the PSK/RPO on your appointment’s date and time. Make sure you do not get late.
- Take the original documents of identity proof, address proof and date of birth. Take the Photostat of the documents also.
- After the verification of the documents, your biometric details will be taken like your finger print and thumb impression of both the hands, iris scan etc.
- Your photograph will also be clicked for the online records.
- After completion of the above-mentioned steps, you will be handed over a final acknowledgment receipt which has to be kept safely.
After this, you will get the passport when the police verification and the LIU i.e. local intelligence unit verification are completed.